It’s natural to feel freaked when you see a letter warning that a child has been in school with lice!
Here’s What You Need to Know
What are head lice? Head lice or (singular head louse) are tiny insects that live on the scalp. Head lice feed on only human blood. Head lice are found in the hair and occasionally in the eyebrows and eye lashes. Unlike scabies, a louse does not dig or burrow into the skin–it uses its needle-like mouthparts to suck blood through the skin.
What are nits? Nits look sort of like dandruff, only they can’t be removed by brushing or shaking them off. Nits are lice eggs. Nits look like tiny yellow, tan, or brown dots before they hatch. Lice lay nits on hair shafts close to the scalp, where the temperature is perfect for keeping warm until they hatch.
How do you get lice? Head lice are usually caught from another person, usually children. This typically happens when people are in head-to-head contact, for example taking a selfie, sharing a bed, or playing together. Head lice can survive 1-2 days without a host and can be transferred by pillows, hats, brushes, cell phones, head bands, helmets, costumes, and scarves. You can check for lice by parting hair in small sections under a bright light and combing through with a Ladibugs Lice Comb on the scalp, behind the ears, and around the neck area.
Yikes! We Have Lice!
Excessive scratching is usually signing of lice this is due to the lice saliva. Fairy Tales Lice Good-bye is a best-selling, natural lice removal proven to eliminate lice and their eggs. Formulated with natural enzymes, it is clinically proven to remove and dissolve bugs. Without harsh chemicals and pesticides, it naturally removes lice and super lice.
- Choosing lice preventing shampoo and conditioner like So Cozy Boo! Lice Prevention Shampoo and So Cozy Boo! Lice Prevention Conditioner, both are formulated without harsh chemicals, just the natural scent of lice repelling herbs.
- Keeping hair short and styling with Fairy Tales Rosemary Repel Styling Gel
- Keeping long hair in a bun or braids spray with Rosemary Repel Hairspray
- Using a lice preventing detangler like Fairy Tales Rosemary Repel Conditioning Spray
- Don't share items that touch the head like combs or brushes
- Avoid activities that lead to head-to-head contact like “selfies”
- Label your kids brushes and combs and keep in zip log bags
- If heading to a sleepover party, consider spraying pillows, clothes, and sleeping bags with rosemary or citronella oils; these are natural lice repellents
If you feel your child has been exposed, do a thorough check 1x to 2x a week. Also put hats, headbands, or pillow in dryer on the highest heat for 15 minutes.
Follow these simple tips and together you and your children can keep the bugs away.